Thursday, July 8, 2010

For the Love of Shoes

IndiBlogger - The Indian Blogger Community

“It’s really hard to walk in a single woman’s shoes – that’s why you sometimes need really special shoes!” – Carrie Bradshaw, Sex and the City

Shoes.

I’m truly one of those of those girls who can never stop loving shoes, purchasing shoes and admiring shoes! No matter where I am in life, all is well at the sight of these pretty little things! I love everything about them. The colours, the fabrics, the styles, the height, the sex appeal...each shoe has its own little personality.

I love how shoes have the ability to take an outfit from drab to stylish. One of my staple outfits is my favorite jeans, t-shirt, statement earrings and my killer heels.

Shoes can not only transform a plain Jane/pindu outfit, but also plain Jane/pindu kuri herself into a stunning Bollywood Diva. High heels make your legs look long and slender, you stand taller and exude confidence and sex appeal.

The one thing I do hate about shoes – they can often be very, very uncomfortable resulting in pinch toes, calluses, sore heels and knees, and sweaty and swollen feet.

So, over the many, many steps that I’ve taken in my beautiful shoes, here are some lessons learned that have made it easier to wear my lovely shoes. Hope this helps other shoe lovers!!

1. Always, always, always buy shoes that fit. Many a times I have bought shoes that were too tight or too loose simple because they were “cute.” I have found no savior product that will make the shoes fit. Wearing shoes that are not the right fit is uncomfortable and a cause for pain whenever you realize you can’t wear them.

2. Always wear you new shoes around the house to break them in.

3. When walking in high heels, take smaller steps. Not only does it help me balance on my heels, but it takes the pressure off the balls of my foot.

4. Pedicures. Regular pedicures are a great way to manage the calluses and get a quick foot massage. Trust me, the smaller the callus, the less the pain.

5. In recent years, there are many different insole options. Invest in a pair of insoles for your high heels. With all the products and sale gimmicks, the best is to try on a few different types. We all have different feet needs, so insoles will feel differently to each of us.

6. Pediegg and Epsom salt. In between my pedis, I will soak my feet in Epsom salt and give my foot a quick rub down with the Pediegg.

7. Peppermint foot spray. The Body Shop Peppermint Cooling Foot Spray to be particular. It’s a great way to give your feet a quick pick-me-up during the work day.

8. Naturalizer and Lifestride. While I love my stilettos, a 8-10 hour work day on my feet are not the best time to wear my favorite stilettos or pumps. For those days, I wear my Naturalizer or Lifestride’s. Both of these shoes are well known for the their “shoe technology” that makes amazingly comfortable shoes - Naturalizer boasts their N5 “shoe comfort technology” – and have come a long way with designing sexy shoes. No one believes my red stilettos and black gladiators are from Naturalizer.

9. Look for shoes with either a platform that supports the front of the shoe or a thicker heel to increase support.

10. Carry a few band-aids in your purse just in case you develop a blister or rubbing.

11. Wear different shoes every day; if possible, alternate between flats and high heels. Not only does this help your shoes last longer, but it also allows your feet to rest up inbetween high heels.

What are your tricks to making your favorite sexy shoes comfortable? Post here or email me at desigirlhouston@gmail.com.

1 comment:

Kalpana said...

ohhh - shoes are my passion too. They can never be too colourful, too high, too flashy, too many. Shoes are the best, forget about the rest...