Monday, July 12, 2010

I Love Lists - this is My Ultimate List

IndiBlogger - The Indian Blogger Community

I recently discovered a blog called Ruby 40. Ayesha Haqqui, editor of Bibi Magazine, has written a list of 40 things that she hopes to accomplish now that she has turned 40. Before becoming officially old (she said it not me =) she hopes to cross of the items on her list. Ayesha cites numerous reasons such as social pressures, fear and procrastination, for not having done these things so far. Having found a balance between work and play, she is now tipping the scales towards play, self-awareness and finding happiness in the simple pleasures.

So, inspired by her for embracing her singledom, independence and passion, here is my list of things I hope to accomplish before I turn 40. Surprisingly, this was a tough little list to write up. While some things on my list may seem extravagant – such as the African Safari – they are actually not. They are simple pleasures to make me smile and to feel FREE.

I believe as I accomplish each item on my list, I will be one step closer to freedom, happiness, contentedness and peace. I will be one step closer to having loosened the shackles of fear, expectations and demands that I have placed on myself and that Desi culture imposes on Desi women. As I find peace and contentedness with life today, I will find myself in a state of peace and excitement as I experience this list.

1. Go on an African Safari.
2. Pet a tiger.
3. Break my shyness.
4. Stop being afraid to love again.
5. Jump in a waterfall.
6. Ask a guy on a date.
7. Take a hot air balloon ride.
8. Travel to Asia.
9. Ride an elephant.
10. Go skydiving.
11. Learn a new language.
12. Write a book.
13. Send a message in a bottle.
14. Walk the beach in Dubai.
15. Walk across the Golden Gate bridge.
16. Get a puppy.
17. Get my belly button pierced.
18. Get in shape.
19. Harass…I mean call my sister more often.
20. Make someone laugh everyday.
21. Buy a condo to build a home.
22. Put up more pictures.

If you had a list what would you put on it? Can you think of anything else that needs to be on my list? Post here or email me at desigirlhouston@gmail.com.

1 comment:

JayaBidkar said...

Lists are good. There is different sense of achievement when you accomplish tasks out of a list. suggesting a list. let me suggest you a good read, 'the next thing on my list - jill smolinkski'