Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Bad Habits that Can Age You

IndiBlogger - The Indian Blogger Community

During my lunch hours, I love to spend my time de-stressing from a hectic morning by reading articles from various online magazines. I came across one today that got me thinking. The article, from TimesofIndia.com, was titled “4 Bad Habits that can Age You 12 Years.”

The article cites the following as the 4 big no-nos that can age us:

1. smoking
2. excessive drinking: 3+ per day for men and 2+ per day for women
3. poor diet: eating less than three services of fruits and vegetables.
4. less than two hours of physical activity per week.

Eeeeeeeekkkkk!!! I have 50% of the bad habits. I will need to increase my fruit and veggies and my physical activity.

While I agree with these four habits as leading causes for some of America’s greatest health concerns (heart disease, diabetes, obesity, cancer…just to name a few), it got me thinking, bad habits that age are not just those that harm our bodies, but also habits that can harm our mind and soul. Have you seen how people who are mean look so much older than the sweethearts of your life?

Here is a list of what I feel are our mind and soul’s “bad habits” that can age us.

- having a short fuse
- being jealous
- low self esteem
- materialistic values or ideals
- depression or anxiety
- relying on others for emotional, physical or financial support
- no intimacy
- being in a unhealthy or abusive relationship
- not seeing our personal value
- negative attitude
- wearing clothes that do not fit our bodies or that are age inappropriate
- not being able to appreciate the little things in life
- polluting our planet
- lack of faith
- not being able to forgive
- being isolated
- not participating in meditation or prayer
- not participating in regular medical check ups

What do you think are the bad habits that age you? Post here or send me an email at desigirlhouston@gmail.com

No comments: