Monday, August 3, 2009

The New Sari

There have been quite a few posts, emails and calls about my last entry. I will respond to what everyone has said…I’m just mulling over all that has been said and that I’ve experienced in the last few days. I will post a response soon! And, your thoughts, opinions and well wishes are truly important to me! Thanks. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this!!!

Just like all Desi fashionistas, I love the look of the sari. It is a classic, timeless style statement. Whether it is yesteryears beauty Sharmila Tagore or Naagin Sri Devi or a beauty queen like Sushmita Sen, the sari complements all time periods, generations and style statements. You can wear a sari from your mom’s closet or a designer piece like SatyaPal - it is always feminine, timeless, elegant, traditional, innocent, classic and shexxy!

Unfortunately, I hate wearing saris. I love how they look on; a sari can hug the right curves, hide the wrong curves and with the perfect pleats and pallu add innocence and sensuality to a woman’s Tashaan. But, I hate wearing them.

(a) I don’t know how to tie a sari (I will admit that on one occasion I even you-tubed and googled the steps to tie a sari…it took me 2 hours!!! But the hostess dragged me to the bathroom because she needed help tying her sari and she wanted her pleats to resemble mine!!)


(b) I don’t know how to walk in sari – all that fabric inbetween my legs swooshing about…aaarrrggghhh!! I feel like I’m going to trip. The kick-step-kick-step is too much while trying to walk in stilettos in a sari holding a plate of samosas and trying to follow a conversation.

(c) I don’t know how to hold anything while trying to carry my pallu. No camera, no purse, no food, no drink. I can't imagine having a little one to take care of.

(d) I don’t know how to dance in a sari. Bhangra is not meant to be with the pleats flying about and the pallu all over the place. And, I have that fear of tripping in a sari (A Bollywood rain dance can only be done in a sari though).

(e) I don’t know how to pee in a sari!! Enough said.

This is why I only wear a salwaar kameez, chooridaar, or a lengha. They are so simple and less complicated. I know how to wear them, how to walk, can hold anything, can dance, can pee and feel fully clothed!

So, needless to say I was in a panic for my sister’s wedding. I didn’t want a sari and I knew the lengha that I wanted would come with a pricetag (I’ve been told I have expensive taste…I think it's because I recognize quality and Tashaan). So I ventured to Poshak in Houston, where Designer/Owner Sameera made the perfect lengha for me – simple, beautiful and a complete expression of my Tashaan! (The amazing part was she created the design for my blouse in less than five minutes after listening to what I wanted and needed! It was perfect!)

But, if I had known about this new sari/lengha combination I would have jumped on it!! And if you knew about it, shame on you for not sharing the secret!!! The lengha-sari is the perfect fusion of the sari and lengha in one outfit.

The lengha-sari is a sari without the pleats - it looks like a lengha with a pallu. Rather than the pleats at the front, the lengha sari is adorned with a variety of embellishments, patterns, paneling and colours. The pallu is draped just as you would a traditional sari. It’s ideal for me!! It has the ease of a lengha, with the timeless beauty of a sari. Here are some of my favorites online. (Somebody have a party so I can order one!!!!)




What do you think of the new lengha-sari? Would you wear one? Where? Post your thoughts (or pictures of you in your favorite a sari, lengha or sari-lengha) at desigirlhouston@gmail.com


No comments: