Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Spend less, save more and still go shopping??

Most of you know that I like shopping...okay i live for shopping. For me shopping is more than just about buying things. It's a great way to relax, hang out, build relationships and support my girls. And, we get pretty things out of it as well :)

But, like so many others, with the state of the current economy and my divorce looming over my heads, I too am trying to find ways to spend less and save more. Now unfortunately, I can not lock myself in my apartment and never socialize again, so I created a budget and follow some simple tricks to spend less.



I've discovered a few things: I need to make more money, I hate budgeting and my tricks work...if I stick to them.

I found some easy, simple ways to pay off my credit cards and save a little money each month...Hey...I'm on my way to saving more. I strongly recommend Suze Orman's latest book entitled Suze Orman's 2009 Action Plan - Keeping Your Money Safe and Sound. It's a very easy read filled with amazing, ready-to-use tips from everything from credit cards to college funds to mortgages to shopping (yes, ladies...a whole chapter on shopping...a.k.a. spending).



I also found simple ways to save a little money with everyday things, like groceries and cell phone bills. Below are some great websites from Real Simple magazine that talks about these money saving tips. I hope you enjoy them and find them as helpful as I did.

http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/money/saving/how-to-save-on-00000000016999/index.html

http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/money/spending/money-missteps-that-matter-00000000006213/?xid=weeklynews

And, here's a link for an interesting article from Time.com about where I money is going during the recession. Some of these surprised me (i.e. soup purchases are down and organic food purchases are up) while others did not (i.e. movie ticket sales are up, as is contraceptive sales).

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1911974_1911972,00.html

What are you doing to save a little money? Share your thoughts by posting here or email me at desigirlhouston@gmail.com.

No comments: