Wednesday, April 22, 2009

How to Make Shopping Fun: Know What Your Body Needs

Last night, after a few sangrias, girl talk and girl giggles, my girlfriend said nonchalently, how hard it was to shop. I looked at her in a daze and nervously asked her what it was that was difficult. Maybe she was referring to the traffic, long lines, waiting rooms, rude sales associates – I hate that!! No. She was not. “I never know what to buy.”

What? She has a killer figure, gorgeous skin complexion, beautiful eyes and awesome hair…she’s one of those girls that can pull off anything that she tries on! Me on the other hand, with my triangle/hourglass figure, I can only wear certain styles and not all colours flatter my skin tone. I often feel like I have the same outfit in different styles!

So, below is a quick guide for how to shop for the right clothes for your body shape!

There are four body shapes that women fall into.

The triangle: Your shoulders and torse are narrower than the hips.
The circle: You tend to gain weight around your middle.
The hourglass: I don’t think this needs any more of a description.
The rectangle: There is no waist definition and often called a boyish figure.

I’ll write about each of these over the next few days.

The Triangle, a.k.a. the pear

You have a long neck, small bust size, a defined waist and a killer booty! You may hear that you have “back” or “good child bearing hips”. Trust me, men and women are checking out your booty.



You want:
- Attention to your upper half
- Details that bring the eyes to the face, bust, neck and waist
- Tops: jewels, bright colours, play with necklines, puffy sleeves, prints, textured fabrics, wide straps, halter tops.
- Skirts: a-line
- Pants: flared or wide leg pants and jeans.
- Choose dark colours for bottoms.
- Dresses: empire waist or a wrap dress which will emphasize the slimmest part of your body.
- Shoes: stilettos: thin heels make your legs look longer and leaner.
- Sari: have the focus placed upon the pallu or the blouse. You don't want to have big polka dots on your behind.
- churidaar: avoid short tops. The tight churidaar places emphasize on your thunder thighs.

To avoid:
- body hugging skirts, bias cut skirts or dresses
- skinny jeans, pockets
- patterns and colours for the bottom
- high waisted pants or skirts
- jackets that sit on the widest part of your hips.













Are you pear shaped? How do you dress your body? Comment here or email me at desigirlhouston@gmail.com

No comments: